Solidarity Nepal, in collaboration with different NGO’s, started its 1st project “Community Irrigation and Rural Development” project in different districts of Nepal in 2011, with components like irrigation, 2 Km long canal rehabilitation, sanitation, drinking water and income generating programs for women.
Detail of project activities:
- Rehabilitation of 2 km long irrigation canal to irrigate land alongside with construction of its headwork (intake). The work included canal clearance, cement work and landslide protection measures like Gabion wire cage stone filling.
- Initiated a small livestock rearing activity for women group as income raising program
- Construction of drainage around few farmers house for creating better sanitation facilities and provided drinking water facilities to twenty-five households in the project area
- Initiated construction of compost pit for organic manure
- Forestation activities in the village wasteland and in the irrigation canal trail to protect land in the village.
- Group orientation on health, sanitation, livestock management and environmental awareness training completed.
- Introduction of smokeless stoves in the project area.